Parashah Recap: Sidestories
Mibbitmaker: And in Silverspoon, I love how the "Next" titles add comedic bite to the story! Cerebus acknowleged as Northerner. First time?
Lenny: I guess Magiking's revelation of Cerebus as a magnifier for magic IS a key piece of info for looking at the rest of the series. Perhaps we should put that on the list? Also, there was a line that sort of puzzled me/hints for the future: The magician says something along the lines of: "You're the greatest of the--" Was it magic magnifiers? If so, what else is one of these? OR was the line slightly different with different implications? Can someone here locate and post it? I remember thinking when I read it that it opened up some ntrguing questions.
Mibbitmaker: I noticed a drawing error where Cerebus HAS his sword, only in one panel, even though p. 274, panel 2 references the story as preceding Black Magiking, after he LOSES his sword. The explanation of Cer thinking it a dream may explain the sword, but not sure it WAS an actual dream.
Reference to an aardvark famine???
Scholarly Sacred Wars Roach: Here's our introduction to the square in space, a setting prominant in Church and State.
- p2 Magician: "ANOTHER intruder?" I guess this is a popular hang-out.
- p4 Magician (re: Aardvarks): "'Monolith peoples, Aardvark fables of... contribution to frozen food. Aardvarks and Aelnap, Silver Dynasty and later... Causes of Aardvark famine. Diamondback, apricot brandy...' Ah! Magical properties. 'The Aardvark is the most powerful of the...'"
- p5 "By unspoken agreement, good magicians... located near their evil counterparts to prevent wide-scale abues of the power that remained..."
- p6 "The nature of an Aardvark in magic is that of an magnifying glass... You concentrate and magnify a spell many times."
- p7 "A magician's life-span is five or six thousand years."
- p8 Ashtoth was mentioned by Thugg the Unseemly back in Song of Red Sophia. Cthulu is a reference to H. P. Lovecraft's elder god Cthulhu. "I'm a magician, Aardvark -- not a poet!" Yet another reference to Dr. McCoy from Star Trek.
- p10 Bleach. I think maybe an A-bomb would have been more interesting.